A Court of Thorns and Roses

A Court of Thorns and Roses - Sarah J. Maas

I found it slow going at first, and I admit I contemplated stopping a couple of times. I didn't. I'm glad I didn't, as for a change, this is one of those novels that get better after a while (usually, if a book hasn't gotten better by the 50% mark, 9 chances out of 10 that it won't at all).

So. The beginning was slow-paced, as Feyre spent time in Prythian. It gave the characters a few months to get to know each other, which was a good thing, as it also meant "no insta-love". It just was... slow, though in good prose.

The second half was quite different, and I liked how the plot unfurled: similar to its original, fairy tale inspiration, but with a much more active heroine, one that gritted her teeth and suffered to get what she wanted. Although the Faerie Court could've been even crueller, it was still permeated with a wild atmosphere, and the protagonists had a brutal tinge to their feelings that made them intense, including one surprising sister. Unfortunately, Tamlin kind of lost his shine after a while... but fear not, Rhysand was there to hold the fort. The kissing/sex scenes were also far and few between, without annoying purple prose, and without bogging down the plot.

3.5 to 4 stars, in spite of the slower beginning.