The Mysterious Disappearance of the Reluctant Book Fairy

The Mysterious Disappearance of the Reluctant Book Fairy (Bibliomysteries) - Elizabeth George

[I received a copy through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

A delightful novelette about a woman with the power to send herself (or others) into scenes from books, complete with many references to many well-known works—although they aren't always directly named. The beginning and ending tie in a somewhat grave way, but there are also plenty of semi-comedic moments in between, from the parts of the narrative focused on Janet to the ones involvie Monie. Not to mention Mildred, who was somewhat annoying, yet with good sides as well.

The story is too short to involve lots of progressive character development. However, it manages to deal with quite a few questions in little time, especially when it comes to Janet's power and how it turns her life upside down. Of course, human nature is bound to ruin a lot of things. Of course, too, some people do manage to wake up, and realise that the dream has turned into a nightmare.

The various pot-shots at some books, at what "trash" is or isn't, made me smile, as well as reflect upon the value we bring to literature in general. For instance, the only vampire story allowed in here is Bram Stoker's, while romance also gets its share of "I refuse to send you in there, try this instead". While I would mostly agree with such judgments on those books, it still makes one wonder. As Mildred puts it, one's man trash is another's treasure...

Somehow, I wish this had been longer. Nonetheless, this book was very pleasant and enjoyable to read.