What I liked:
- There are some definitely epic scenes here, especially towards the end.
- The witches, who remain ruthless and badass without being completely black either. At least, some of them.
- Celaena/Aelin feels more like an actual assassin. More cunning and less Too Stupid To Live moments on her part (she takes risks but she also ensures her ass is covered, so to speak).
- Lysandra and her role in the story. Badass jerk prostitute with a heart of gold and secrets of her own. And both she and Aelin manage to set their previous qualms apart to become friends.
What I disliked:
- Redundant scenes, whether they're full of angst or spent describing Rowan and Aelin.
- I really don't ship Rowan and Aelin. At all. As friends and bonded comrades in arms, they were awesome; as lovers... nope, doesn't do it for me.
- What the hell happened to Chaol?!