Dorothy Must Die

Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1) - Danielle  Paige

Strong beginning, but the potential was kind of wasted along the way. So many boring scenes were stretched, filled with (whiny) inner monologue, not to mention the mandatory love interest/romancey bits I couldn't care about, that I lost touch with the Amy I was given to meet in the first chapters, as well as with the quirky, nightmarish version of Oz I had hoped to see her. Amy's character developed jerkily going from pushover to magic-user through "training" that didn't feel very convincing.

Also:
- Slut shaming, because obviously Evil!Dorothy has to dress like a ho to make a point (which one is anyone's guess).
- Ain't-telling-you-nothing-itis. Sure, nothing's ever made a hero/ine more efficient than telling them "it's bigger than you, but I'm not revealing much because Reasons, by the way you're not allowed to fail."

There may be hope in the ending, though. Killing Dorothy is much more complex than just sticking a knife in her eye (though I'd like to see that), and I'm kind of wondering where the thing with Pete is going. And where are the Wicked, what are they going to do now, isn't there someone not exactly working in their favour on the inside, etc.

1.5 to 2 stars.