My Sweet Audrina

My Sweet Audrina - V.C. Andrews

I read this book when I was 12 or so, and I remembered liking it, so this time I wanted to read it in English and not in French... I guess the "ignorant preteen" + "bad translation" combo left me with a very different impression than the one I got now. Some 25 years later, I definitely didn't like it.

Too many twists that veered into sensationalist territory, and not in a good way (so many people falling down the stairs). Very stilted dialogues that nobody would use, especially not in the 70s or 80s. Audrina being pretty dumb, all things considered, because even when she had all the hints, she still needed other characters to spell it out for her. Also every female character being either the self-sacrificing type who stays with others out of "duty", or the ruthless-seductress type—virginal and pure women vs. debased and sexualised ones. Not to mention the "it's all the woman's fault" undertones (marriage going sour? It's Wife's fault, because Wife isn't sexually active enough for Husband to be happy, and so it's normal that Poor Husband cheats on her).

I guess reading stuff I liked when I was in my teens isn't always a good idea. :/