When the Moon Was Ours

When the Moon was Ours: A Novel - Anna-Marie McLemore

[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley.]

Enchanting and full of diversity, although the flowery prose didn't convince me.

The book opens on Miel and Sam, a skittish girl with roses growing out of her wrist, and a boy who doesn't exactly know if he wants to be a boy or go back to being a girl. In itself, this was an interesting premise, as both characters were searching for their inner truth, all lthe while being surrounded by lies (or what they perceived at such): Miel's memory—not exactly the most reliable; what Aracely, Miel's adoptive guardian, knows and what she doesn't say; Sam having to hide his body in everyday life; and the Bonner sisters, with their red hair and their mysterious ways, four girls acting as one, enchantresses ensnaring boys and wielding their own kind of power that always gets them what they want in the end.

There's more magical realism than actual magic here, although Aracely's ability to cure heartbreak, as well as her being a self-professed curandera, definitely hint at 'witchcraft'. It's more about the way things are shown and described, in the moons Sam paints and hangs outside people's windows, in the roses growing out of Miel's skin, in the rumoured stained glass coffin meant to make girls more beautiful, in how modern life and themes (immigrants in a small town, transgender teenagers, fear of rejection, or the practice of bacha posh, which I didn't know about before reading this book...) intertwine with poetry and metaphor, with images of rebirth and growing up and accepting (or realising) who you're meant to be. Not to mention racial diversity, instead of the usual 'all main protagonists are whiter than white.'

To be honest, though, as much as the prose was beautiful at first, in the end it seemed like it was trying too much, and the story suffered from too many convoluted paragraphs and redundant descriptions & flashbacks. As it was, even though I liked this book in general, I found myself skimming in places that felt like déjà vu. Granted, it's much more a character- than a plot-driven novel, but I'm convinced all the prose could've been toned down, and it would have remained beautiful without sometimes running in circles and drowning the plot now and then.

Conclusion: 2.5 stars.