Night Shift (Jill Kismet #1)

Night Shift (Jill Kismet #1) - Lilith Saintcrow 2.5 stars. Interesting world, that I didn't need much time to dive into (supposedly you need to have read the author's previous series to get it, but it wasn't a problem for me—she introduced things in a manner that I found understandable). While it's no revolution in the UF genre, it was still a pleasant read that kept me entertained. The relationship between Jill and Perry is so twisted, anyway, that it spells trouble for much more than one story, and I quite appreciated the parts where he intervened. That guy's definitely got an agenda, and maybe not as easy to foresee as it seems at first.

What bothered in this book was the angsty running-around about a couple of things (the scar and Mikhail, mostly), which ended up in too many scenes along the lines of "must focus because situation is tough --> think of him --> no, focus! --> thinking of him again --> no, girl, FOCUS". Jill's a broken person, and her grief is understandable, but such moments happened too often, and slowed down the action after a while, creating redundancy and unfortunately minimizing the impact at the end. The Weres I found more interesting, in fact. Also, the love interest part felt thrown in more than a logical development, and I always have quibbles about those ones, I admit.

I may pick up the second book later on, since I'm hovering towards the 3 stars all the same, but I don't know yet. We'll see.