Kindling the Moon: An Arcadia Bell Novel

Kindling the Moon - Jenn Bennett More like 2.5 stars, but I'm upping it to 3, because I feel there's potential in the world developed here.

My main beef with this book is that the heroine, Arcadia, appears as strong and independent, but when taking a closer look, doesn't exactly *do* that much by herself: sure, she takes the matter into her own hands and enlists help to solve it, but once this is done, in my opinion, said help does more than her. Also, for someone who's supposed to be in hiding because of her serial killer parents, and does have quite recognizable features (=her halo—not a spoiler, we learn that in chapter 1), I didn't find her particularly stealth-savvy, nor in a hurry either. She's supposed to have only two weeks to solve her problem, yet there were several chapters in which I couldn't feel any urgency, and wanted to tell the characters "uh, guys, the clock's ticking." Finally, I found the romance bit a little too present; it may have been better to develop it more slowly, over the course of two books, maybe.

On the other hand, I liked the supernatural world developed by the author, with different categories of 'demons' (not all necessarily 'bad', but more on the side of 'spirits', in fact), and how some of them mixed with humans, as beings trapped into human bodies. The bar was a cool place, too, and I hope that it's not going to be dropped in the next books. Some of the characters I enjoyed a lot: Lon, for starters, had unexpected sides, his having a son and loving him fiercely not being the least. As for hyperactive Jupe, he was just so lovable from the start, and not the piece of heavy baggage such a ward may be seen as in a lot of novels.

I'm still not sure I'll read the next book in the series, because although I enjoyed this one, I also expected more of it, and therefore was a bit disappointed. But then, who knows, I might.