Adam's Curse: A Future without Men

Adam's Curse: A Future without Men - Bryan Sykes First thing first, I don't have a scientific background. I majored in human sciences (History and English Lit & Civilisation), and the only classes I've ever had about genetics were in my sophomore year in high school. Yet the subject holds quite some interest for me, and I was glad that I managed to understand pretty much what was written in this book. It wasn't that much of a given.

I appreciated the picture Brian Sykes draws of species' reproduction—what happens with the 'cloning species' vs. the 'sexual species'. This book gave me quite a few things to mull about and look into. A lot of what was presented in it is closer to speculation, and thus can't be taken at face value, just like that, but I found the reasoning behind it compelling and quite justified. I also enjoyed reading about the scientific procedures involved, even though they probably occupy a little too much space in the text.

On the other hand, this book could do with a different structure. At times, I had the feeling that the author was jumping to something different, only to go back later to his first point, and so on. It tends to disrupt the flow in the demonstration, so to speak. Other elements could and should have been put aside (I didn't care much for the passages in which he waxed lyrical—I wanted the scientific facts, after all). And in my opinion, too little space was devoted to properly dealing with the actual question of "will men go extinct, or not?" (it was quite the pitch on the cover, and in the end, it felt as if it hadn't been addressed as much as other points).

All in all, I enjoyed reading it, but I'm not sure someone with a more solid scientific background than mine would get that much out of it.