SPOILER ALERT!

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer, Stephenie Meyer I might have liked that book when I was 15 and in love with vampire stories, any stories, as long as there were vampires in it. Some seventeen years later, it was probably bound not to be the case anymore.

The author's writing style itself isn't as bad as I had heard. Annoying and laughable due to regular amounts of purple prose and adverbs, but all in all, I've read worse. What dug this book's grave for me was the rest, all those little things that piled upon each other to make the whole story nerves-grating. The whiny characters. The fact that I had to wait almost until the end of the book to get some real plot going on. And for the love of all that is holy, authors: when you build up tension towards a fight scene, do not have the POV character conveniently faint and rob the readers from said scene!

And sorry, Edward, but your love is creepy and stalkerish. It might be an interesting read if it was presented for what it is, or played upon, among other possibilities; but let's not call that a "romantic" relationship. (Now I'm also starting to wonder if all those pupils of mine who've loved the book/movie are getting the idea that 'true love' is like that. I sure hope not.)